Pages

Friday, June 12, 2009

Packing

Busy busy! Just got back from a week in Michigan, where I was on a workshop learning about methods for active teaching of university biology. It was with a group of 20 biology postdocs, mostly from the US, taught by 4 biology profs. It was amazing: refreshing, beautiful setting on a lake, supportive group, and totally inspiring. We return for a follow-up workshop next summer. A happy coincidence was that our pals Ann & Josh -- who are from Grand Rapids, MI but live here in QC -- were home for a visit. So they rolled out the red carpet and showed me their hometown.

Otherwise we've been focusing on the upcoming move. I guess I forgot to mention... we decided to find a bigger place. And with interest rates and the cost of housing relatively low, not to mention the proximity of green space to Quebec City, we decided to go for it sooner than later. So goodbye narrow apartment, hello house by the river!

We chose a cute little bungalow in a mountain town, just 15 min north of the city. The closing has been delayed due to some legal confusion I'd rather not think about... so I'll post an update with more details soon, hopefully with a happy ending =) Either way we have to vacate the apt by July 1st (universal moving day here), so let the box hunt commence...

In the mean time we also decided it'd be a nice to have a car, to get around this summer to all the gorgeous sites nearby. We picked up our as-yet-unnamed sweet ride on Wednesday and are totally loving it. Minus the tailfin, here she is:

2 comments:

Sharilynn said...

Wow Kara, you are up to big things. A house, that's SO exciting!! We are coming back to Toronto, sometime in the next several months. I hope that means we'll be able to find some time to see you, meet Rob and check out the new house. I hope the closing went smoothly, can't wait to see pics. Thanks so much for keeping up this blog Kara, I love being able to check in on what you are doing!

kalyle said...

Awww, thanks S. I will be keen to hear news of your trip... visit or permanent?! I will keep posting my scintillating news for your enjoyment ;)