After the miserable summer weather that I've grumbled about so much, this gorgeous fall has been a real gift! Just about perfect for everything I love about the autumn: walks in the woods, breathing crisp air, cooking savoury dishes, road trips, and snuggling with my favourite folks.
As I sat down to write this post, I looked back at last fall and realized that almost exactly one year ago, I wrote a similar entry about outdoor pursuits. It just happened to be Rob's 40th birthday (21 October 2008) although I didn't know it, because I wouldn't meet him for another 2 weeks or so! Funny how much life can change in a year, eh? I'll let you know how his 41st went next post :)
During the recent good weather Rob was spending lots of time at his new friend Camal's property in nearby Stoneham. They're doing a bunch of "eco-demolition" and wood salvaging because the provincial government is expropriating several properties to extend a highway through the area. Here's a sugar shack that it's in the proposed path of destruction: they're taking it apart for the cedar siding, doors, windows, and rafters, to use in building cabins. I'm pretty impressed by my guy's handyman skills!
When not working or walking, I've been puttering a lot at home, trying to get things organized for the baby's arrival in 3 months. I haven't knit anything for him yet, but I've ordered some wool to make myself a wrap/shawl for breastfeeding. It was my 1st-ever internet knitting purchase (along with some deluxe wooden needles and books), and I can't wait for the Knitpicks box to arrive any day! Here are some other recent projects I've been playing with.
for Emily, Yun's newborn :: Thrummed Mitts for the cold Quebec winter
In early October we scored a great opportunity for a 4-day Toronto visit.
Purica — the Vancouver Island company that Rob works for — was participating in a Health Food expo, so he was flying in to help with the show and meet his bosses in person for the first time. They put us up in a nice hotel downtown.

I, on the other hand, was there to live the easy life! I got to catch up with many good friends and soak up some of TO's invigorating diversity and energy. Sweet Jane organized a baby shower — it was heartwarming to celebrate upcoming parenthood with family and friends. Thanks guys! I feel so incredibly blessed these days =) Rob and I spent the last night at Jane and Colin's, and had a day to wander the city together for the first time. I think he was more impressed than he expected by the changes in its vibe over the past few years since he'd lived there... especially when you tap into the heart of the real neighbourhoods. We did a great little tour on foot of the Beaches, Queen West, Kensington and the Annex.

25 years of friendship :)

Mom made this cozy stroller blanket for our little guy,
and sent it down to the shower from Manitoulin.
The next weekend was one of my favourite times of the year: Thanksgiving. How can you beat a holiday devoted to celebrating life and expressing our gratitude for what we have, while eating comfort food, all on a long weekend, in the fall?! I love that it's about sharing, yet without commercial gifts, just the best feeling in the world. We enjoyed a heavenly meal chez our friends Céline and Eliot, in the city. And the next day we got in some hiking at Parc Jacques Cartier, just 20 min or so north of where we live. As you can see the peak of fall colours has way passed now (so it was a bit of a shocker to see all the green leaves last weekend in Toronto!).
For a real taste of what the Park is like though, here's a shot from the prior weekend (courtesy of real photographers, Eliot and Celine), when the golden leaves were shining and the moose were out!
Last weekend was a road trip to the Gatineau Hills, north of Ottawa. We accepted an invitation from my pals Steph and Mike to join them at a cottage they're renting for a year. Their daughters Jaida (7) and Ally (5) were so much fun to hang out with. Robin and Darcy joined us too, so it was an awesome gang, feasting on delicious food, on a tranquil little lake aglow with autumn colours. I felt truly calm and rejuvenated at my first glimpse of the still water. There were perfect reflections on the surface when we went for an afternoon paddle.
These guys have the smartest gig going with this place. They share it with another couple, alternating weeks, while the owners are on an overseas posting. A perfect rustic getaway, just 40 minutes north of the city. Ottawa and Québec remind me of each other that way, with stunning outdoor opportunities even in the city core, and wilderness not far beyond. I guess I've been pretty lucky to experience life in both places (and really, we can say that about living in Canada in general! It's easy to take for granted our unparalleled open spaces).
What a treat it was: a cottage weekend with old friends is the best. Yup, definitely feeling blessed these days...
bump watch: week 25
(must get some intentional belly shots to do it justice)
(must get some intentional belly shots to do it justice)
For a real taste of what the Park is like though, here's a shot from the prior weekend (courtesy of real photographers, Eliot and Celine), when the golden leaves were shining and the moose were out!
Last weekend was a road trip to the Gatineau Hills, north of Ottawa. We accepted an invitation from my pals Steph and Mike to join them at a cottage they're renting for a year. Their daughters Jaida (7) and Ally (5) were so much fun to hang out with. Robin and Darcy joined us too, so it was an awesome gang, feasting on delicious food, on a tranquil little lake aglow with autumn colours. I felt truly calm and rejuvenated at my first glimpse of the still water. There were perfect reflections on the surface when we went for an afternoon paddle.
These guys have the smartest gig going with this place. They share it with another couple, alternating weeks, while the owners are on an overseas posting. A perfect rustic getaway, just 40 minutes north of the city. Ottawa and Québec remind me of each other that way, with stunning outdoor opportunities even in the city core, and wilderness not far beyond. I guess I've been pretty lucky to experience life in both places (and really, we can say that about living in Canada in general! It's easy to take for granted our unparalleled open spaces).
What a treat it was: a cottage weekend with old friends is the best. Yup, definitely feeling blessed these days...








No comments:
Post a Comment