Pages

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Third trimester in the shoulder season




Our first real snow arrived between Thanksgiving and Halloween.  A bit of a shock to see white that early but it melted within a few days.  The effect on our property was gorgeous... I think winter here is going to be beautiful.  This is the main entrance to our house (actually the side), and the little bunky/cabanon/shed that Rob is redoing, behind the house.





Unfortunately we didn't take pictures, but last week we celebrated Rob's birthday all week long :)  Eliot & Celine came over for a surprise sushi dinner on the actual day.  The poor guest of honour was fighting a cold, which I've got now, and believe me it's challenging to get ready for a birthday party with a curious sick guy hanging around the house!  We had a real feast and a great time with our friends.  (And... he is taking care of me so sweetly now that I'm sick).

The fun continued with a secret getaway weekend to the Eastern Townships.  I arranged a night at a hotel spa in Granby, where we had a scrumptious, five course dinner of regional specialties.  The next day, we visited nearby Richmond for the final surprise: dinner with his Tante Lise and Oncle Jean-Guy, who are also his godparents.  They hadn't seen each other since Rob moved to Québec, so it was a joyful reunion. We shared a wonderful meal cooked by Lise (with a taste of Jean-Guy's home-smoked trout!), and it was such a treat to meet them.

This is a funny time of year with fluctuating temperatures and weather.  And now that the clocks are turned back, the sun is already setting by 4:30pm!  Overall I find that it gives Québec a very exciting, frontier-like feel, as though big adventures could happy at any time.  So pretty.  Rob has been snapping some great pictures when he's out doing his rounds for work.  Here's what it looked like yesterday on a lovely fall day in the city, a week after the snow.  Note the lack of leaves!



 







Oh, bump watch is at week 29.  He's moving all the time now, very exciting :)



 


2 comments:

Sharilynn said...

All of those photos are so beautiful, you and Rob have settled into such an amazing life in Quebec Kara! I have to say the bump is stunning too! I didn't know you knew you were waiting for a baby boy!! Enjoy this last trimester - amazing times are just around the corner...

Sophie said...

Oh wow, those pictures are awesome and wow again for your baby bump !!! Can't wait to see you soon, but tricothé on monday are hard for me because of my work schedule... ;)