Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Flashback :: Arizona, October 2008

(Bit of a delayed reaction here — downloading a whack o' recent digital photos... time for some retro-blogging)

In October I had the great chance to visit Arizona for work. Took a week-long course at the Southwestern Research Station in the Chiricahua mountains, 3 hours from Tucson in the southeast corner of the state (where AZ, New Mexico and Mexico meet).


The course was run by the American Museum of Natural History. It was about species distribution modelling (something I work on in my postdoc work with the Boreal Avian Modelling Project). There were about 15 of us, scientists and graduate students from many countries. I'll sum up by saying that it was a challenging program, a fantastic experience, and just let the pictures speak for themselves. (Oh, and I made my first-ever visit to Tar-zhay!)



The AMNH research station, and hiking in the Chiricahuas.




I stumbled upon "Helldorado": Tombstone's festival celebrating the 1880s' days of Wyatt Earp and the O-K Corral. Pretty freaky scene!

No comments: