Creative thoughts are exploding this summer. A big source of inspiration is our new property. We are here full time now, on our very own 2 acres. We call it our little 'ranch', because it's a cute bungalow surrounded by fields of wildflowers and trees, which are in turn surrounded by hundreds of acres of open fields, forest, farms and cattle range lands. So it's the perfect size for a family, with the illusion of being a honkin' ranch. Yet only 3 minutes' drive from town, and a mile from big cliffs overlooking West Bay on Lake Huron.
It feels so good to be in our own space again, after a year of moving, squatting, moving again, bartering, and for the last couple months, being spread between two places – our rental cottage, and our new place while we prettied 'er up. Here's the fireplace, one of my favourite things about the house. (Which reminds me, gotta take some outdoor shots).
All I have to do to get inspired here is walk outside, or even just look out. For example I'm sitting on the couch looking out the living room picture window. Dozens of fat bees are buzzing in the garden, and a hummingbird keeps visiting. Despite the potential blahs of another grey rainy day (happy summer though!), the air is filled with rich earthy smells and joyous bird song. C. and I warded off the morning's grey humidity by baking a batch of blueberry muffins and carrot bread. I wore a cheery, beautiful apron made by our friend Ann :)
There are boxes half-opened and stuff strewn everywhere, but yes I'm feeling inspired. One of the outcomes for this creative summer has been getting involved in a new venture for crafts people and cottage industries in Gore Bay, the next town over. A friend started up a pseudo co-op (Manitoulin Market Place) to enable folks to sell their wares, without investment in the overhead or time needed to run a shop or even a farmer's market stall. We pay a small fee to join for the season, work 20 volunteer hours in the market over the summer, and in return can display our stuff for just a small commission back to the operation.
It sounded like a great way to be creative and meet people this summer, so I jumped in. Not expecting to make a dime, really, just to enjoy the process. I've named my effort Crabapple Studio, in anticipation of the little getaway Rob is going to build for me on the property when time and materials are available. Everything in the market has to be made, grown or designed on the island. My theme is handmade, salvaged and repurposed finds... everything from my own knitting with recycled yarn, to old treasures that we scavenge from the dump and refurbish. ('crabapple' is for a few trees in our yard, and the concept of humble, overlooked materials that our grandmas would've made it to something special). Rob's going to put in some of his carpentry projects too. In fact, he was commissioned to build a 'cabin' for the building's interior, to serve as the market's office 'kiosk'. It's adorable, will post pictures when I get some.
Okay, I'm making this all sound very idyllic, but truly there are countless days since moving to the island when I've felt utterly, battily stir crazy.
just another gorgeous, dilapidated Manitoulin barn
To go along with this new rural life, then, I've been craving reading materials about motherhood, creativity, homesteading and country living. As in, how does one go from being a professional, adventurous city gal to a stay-at-home mom in the middle of nowhere, while keeping her brain sharp, her creative juices flowing, and her sanity intact?
I'm currently reading two books along these lines. One was sent to me from my friend Monica in Newfoundland — Made From Scratch (Jenna Woginrich) is about the 'pleasures of a handmade life', by a young woman who jumped into homesteading while renting a place in Idaho. Impressive! Coincidentally I had earlier come across her blog, Cold Antler Farm (linked on my sidebar).
This morning I started the second, purchased after a promising review in the Globe. Planting Dandelions (Kyran Pittman) is the memoirs of a gal who left a bohemian existence to settle down in the southern US to raise a family... and check this out, I discovered in Chapter 1 that she hails from... Newfoundland! Go figure. (A fun coincidence because during the 17 years or so that Monica and I have been friends, one of our most favourite conversation topics is the idyllic notion of living on one's own land and being creative while raising goats). Her engaging, witty writing led me to visit her blog for the first time today, which spurred me to update this one.A certain snuggly someone has awoken from his nap. Til next time then.
regular weekend exploration mission, ~16 mos in early June




3 comments:
More please..... what can I say- I like hearing your thoughts and seeing the photos.
Miss you! A
Yes, love it!! Keep posting, love reading about how things are going and your writing is fab - thought-provoking and inspiring.
Sharilynn
Happy to see a new post :) I'm excited to see pics of your crabapple projects. Hope you guys are doing well.
yun
Post a Comment