Pages

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Ooohhh, les îles...

Last week I took my first real vacation (i.e. not just somewhere away while working on my thesis) in a loooong time. Pure. Heaven. First, Jane, Colin, Sadie & Henry stayed two nights in Quebec en route to PEI. Can't tell you how great it felt to have them here, to see where I live, to have their energy in my apartment. It made me feel like this isn't so far away from "home" and everything I know.

The day after they left I drove east to join them for two nights at their rented cottage. It was just past Abram's Village in the SW, on the Strait, near Summerside. Where Kathy's family owns a group of cottages. Being able to see the ocean from your deck, now that's what I call civilized living.

Next stop was Souris in the east to catch the 5 h ferry to les îles de la Madeleine, a place I've long daydreamed of visiting (I'm always intrigued by islands, the further the better). So, I thought, why the heck not this summer? I practically live on the Atlantic coast anyway ;) I'd describe the islands as an idyllic blend of PEI + Quebec: red cliffs, stunning beaches, fresh seafood, a charming Acadian flavour to life, and ubiquitous, yummy bread and pastries. Brightly coloured homes dot the landscape like jewels. I was captivated!

These next shots are from my boat trip back to PEI. I took the night ferry. The sky turned 50 different shades of pink and orange, uplighting 'ile d'entrée' as we passed. And I musn't forget the dolphin that kept swimming alongside in the golden waves.


I heart vacations =)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

sweet unc. you deserved it!

kalyle said...

thanks snucky. seeing you guys was awesome!

Morag said...

Bonjour ma petite chou. Ta blog est formidable et les photos aussi. Merci pour l'invitation a moi pour ma participation ici. Le name Kalyle is trop "cool". Je t'aime cherie. xoxox Mama

Morag said...

oh, le nom "flotsom & knitsom" est aussi trop cool. :o) Your knitting projects are awesome. xox

kalyle said...

Glad you're enjoying it Mom! =)

Sharilynn said...

Ah, Kara. Thanks for the post! You are reminding me why I want to come back to Canada after our adventures. Such beautiful things! I'm glad you are keeping the blog up, we love to see how you are doing.