I've been meaning to write about Québec's summer-long birthday party. The ol' gal turned 400 this year. And it has been a fabulous, non-stop series of events pretty much since the summer solstice. There was the dazzling fireworks display over the St. Lawrence River the night of the actual b'day, on July 3rd. The Chateau Frontenac was all lit up in the background. The typically surreal setting of my life these days ;)
I should mention that bizarrely, Van Halen was playing in the background ('mise well JUMP!') because it was the opening night of the Festival d'Eté. This 10-day music gig was truly awesome, and it cost...get this...$20 for an unlimited pass. (That's the service charge on most tickets in Toronto). Some of the highlights for me were Mes Aïeux, a group from Montreal that puts a current twist on the Quebecois folk song tradition, and Wyclef Jean from the Fugees. Then there was the li' shindig that happened the night I got back from vacation...

Yes, I saw the Paul McCartney show, with about 250,000 friends. What can I say. Pretty much one of the best live music experiences of my life. Well, nothing can compare to the Victory tour circa 1984, but hey, he's a frickin' Beatle! So yeah, life here is definitely not short on entertainment. I won't soon forget singing Hey Jude and Let It Be on the Plains of Abraham.


No comments:
Post a Comment