always bittersweet for me on the final long weekend of the summer though... man, it stings!
I'm supposed to blog weekly during this fall yarn swap, so my secret pal can learn about me. Hopefully this will reveal more layers of the kalyle persona ;) So excited about making care packages for *my* secret buddy. I know who she is now, but won't reveal any details lest she be lurking...heh heh.
Just spent a lovely week with some of my favourite people. First a weekend with Jane and her family. (I'm in serious withdrawal from those guys since moving here, b/c we'd typically spend at least an evening a week all together when I lived in TO). It was Jane's birthday this week so it was extra nice to visit then. As is our forte, we ate, drank, chatted, and generally soaked up each others' company. One of the best lines from 5 y ol Sadie: "we're best friends right?" (referring to our whole family unit). "And we never fight". So true!
Returned yesterday from my subsequent visit to Mom & Ken's on Manitoulin Island. I took the ferry over from Tobermory—it always brings back amazing memories when I visit the park where I worked for a summer 15 (!) years ago! The days at Kagawong with the folks were filled with swimming, knitting by the lake, chatting and catching up, and a couple little adventures.
My stepdad & I hiked the Cup and Saucer trail, which is on the part of the Niagara Escarpment that continues on the island. Hard to believe that it was the first visit there for both of us; it's only 15 minutes from the house. So happy to have finally seen it, and it was awesome that Ken came too!
Hiking the Cup and Saucer Trail, Manitoulin Island
Mom and I visited a sheep farming/wool operation that we've known about for a couple years. They bring their sheared wool to PEI, get it spun, and then hand-dye it back on Manitoulin. It's called Woolly Harvest — they sell skeins and also kits with custom patterns for the most divine sweaters. The owner, Deb, was so kind and welcoming to us, while we salivated over all the delights in her little showroom. Of course we had to pick up a little something :) I think I'll use my wool to make felted slippers for my first Quebec winter.
Wish Derek coulda been there too, for a float on the water avec beers :(
As always, spending time up there conjures daydreams of sheep farming, kayaking all around Georgian Bay, and/or being a freelance writer who lives in the woods. The trip home yesterday was half lovely - past Algonquin, and the Pontiac in western Quebec. And fantastically, I met up with Laura, Troy Willem & Sammy at a truck stop on the Trans-Canada for breakfast, because they were driving home from Elliot Lake after picking up the kids, following their 2 week incredible sojourn in Botswana. The drive only turned hellish once my body started going into rigor mortis when I couldn't find a motel room in the Laurentians. (Note to self: don't take the scenic route in the dark on a long weekend.) I arrived home at 2am, 1300km and 16 h later. I put a whopping 2500k on little Azul in the last week!
Happy Labour Day long weekend peeps <3

2 comments:
That's a lot of travel time and kilometers. Hope you had a good time though!
Yes, please keep blogging so I can get to know you! I'm your swap pal to spoil you! You can always email if you want to chat at:
fallingforewe@gmail.com
Squeeee!! Thanks so much for visiting my blog, pal. I'll post this weekend with some new and interesting facts all about me =D
Post a Comment