Pages

Saturday, September 6, 2008

These are a few of my favourite things

Okay, I'll admit it—moving to Québec has not been easy. There are days when I wonder what the heck I was thinking, leaving behind a life that was comfortable and happy, filled with people and things that I love in Toronto. Starting a new job in a new city, in a different language and culture, in a place where I didn't know anyone... yup, not so easy. However, I don't regret it. I came here for a good reason (an amazing career opportunity) and most of the time, despite the challenges, it is exciting, energizing, and fun.

Take today for example. I am absolutely high on life. Mostly it comes from thinking about *other* people (instead of navel-gazing). I am re-reminded how fabulous it feels to give, because of two knitting-related initiatives I'm part of this fall.


Some projects on the go for Warm Hands

First, is the charity knitting I'm doing for the Warm Hands Network. This is a wonderful initiative that is collecting knitted woollen items for Innu kids in Labrador. I am having so much fun that I keep starting more and more projects. Can't. Stop! I just bought more wool to make some cheery hats and mitts , and I was absolutely grinning from ear to ear just thinking about it.


New wool begging to be turned into colourful hats

Second, I am completely pumped about the fall yarn swap I'm part of. Almost done the first package for my swap pal, and I have a bunch of stuff stashed for the next two packages. Again, was just giddy thinking about it today! Both of these awesome activities stem from my involvement in Ravelry. I used to think internet friendships were only for geeks. Ha! I am only beginning to see how much benefit can come from connecting to others with similar interests, even if you don't know them (Jane has been tuned into this for a lot longer, with all her photography.)

In addition to the joy of giving and knitting, here are a few other things that have me jazzed lately:

:: Fuzion, a Shiraz-Malbec from Argentina that costs only $8 and is freakin' lovely!

:: Jack Johnson's album, Sleep Through the Static (thanks Cheryl!). Just hearing a couple of the opening notes sends me into a happy trance.

:: fall clothes. I *accidentally* became intoxicated by them today. The stores were full of sumptuous cozy items in jewel tones and charcoal grey. Being this is a cold-winter kinda place, I noticed extra helpings of delicious fuzzy berets, leg warmers, shawls, scarves. I escaped with minimal damage to my bank account, and two delicious finds: a mauvey-pink, angora sweater dress, and a cardigan with no buttons and adorable darts at the waist, in a sort of pumpkin-pie shade. Hee =D

:: the Laurentian mountains. I try to actively look at them every single day. The view across the street from my apt rocks, the absolute best way for me to reset if I'm feeling discombobulated.

:: My posse. The very dear family and friends who show me in so many ways how much they care for me. My sweet Mom, who sent me the most heart-warming card this week; my best friend Jane who called me to check in and made me laugh; my brother Derek who did the same. It is very good to remember that regardless of where the people you love are at any given moment, they truly are sitting right in your heart. As corny as that is (I know, sorry ;)

2 comments:

knitjo said...

Moving to a new place can be very difficult...however you seem to have a good support system from your family and friends...I know moving from NS to ON was a big change--after two years, it finally feels right and home.
Take care

Sharilynn said...

Kara, I so TOTALLY know how you feel! I was ready to flee France for a few months. It still isn't my favorite all the time, but France and I are starting to make peace. I thought I could turn to my network at home for support, but to a large extent all I heard was "but you're in France! Aren't you eating the bread? What about the cheese?". Uh yeah, but somehow hot baguettes don't make up for the lack of familiar faces and places, daily frustrations, having no one around to just drop in on and chat. No one who knows you. Feeling lonely and having everything just feel like hard work. I'm telling you this because the kindest thing anyone has said to me is "hey - I totally dig your vibe. You're right, it's hard, you're doing great and you're doing all the right things to get to a better place.". I'm sending that sentiment off to you with a big "go easy on yourself while you are on the journey" thrown in for good measure. Avec des gros bisous! Sharilynn

PS - I am addicted to my on-line English-speaking mom's network here. I'm totally with you on the online support thing.