(1) Running. I started a beginner's training program in July to keep getting into better shape. The end goal of it is to complete a 5k. Seeing as I used to think myself incapable of running around the block, I'm thrilled that I stuck with it for 9 weeks. I can now run for 30 minutes! It has been more motivating than I imagined. Pretty psyched about the Run for the Cure on Sunday, yeeHA! Thanks to my supporters out there, I appreciate your donation. Here's how I imagine myself when I'm running along the Rivière St. Charles...
(2) Election fever. With campaigns in full swing on both sides of the border, it's good times for political junkies in North America. I got an intense thrill from voting in the first advance polls today :) Though I was generally underwhelmed by two debates this week featuring our 5 federal leaders. Except for being very impressed by Elizabeth May's gumption — no surprise that she has what it takes to be on the national stage, after watching her for years on the enviro scene. And great to see a female presence amid all those pasty faces. But that she had to fight to even be included in the debates, and that she could be so poised, clear and strong even with her rickety french skills? Awesome. She handled it like an old pro.
Strange for me to be navigating the political scene here in Quebec for this election. I'm in a sea of Bloc and Conservative supporters. Rather than try to explain how different it is, why don't I let the statistics speak for themselves (Source: Statistics Canada, 2006 Census data).
Don't forget to rock the vote!
Strange for me to be navigating the political scene here in Quebec for this election. I'm in a sea of Bloc and Conservative supporters. Rather than try to explain how different it is, why don't I let the statistics speak for themselves (Source: Statistics Canada, 2006 Census data).
My old riding in Toronto: Parkdale - High Park
Immigrants as a percentage of total population 39.0%
Visible minority as a percentage of total population 26.0%
Language - mother tongue
English 59.0%; French 2.0%; Non-official languages 40.0%
Visible minority as a percentage of total population 26.0%
Language - mother tongue
English 59.0%; French 2.0%; Non-official languages 40.0%
The riding where I live now in Québec: ville de Québec
Immigrants as a percentage of total population 7.0%
Visible minority as a percentage of total population 4.0%
Language - mother tongue
English 2.0%; French 93.0%; Non-official languages 5.0%
Immigrants as a percentage of total population 7.0%
Visible minority as a percentage of total population 4.0%
Language - mother tongue
English 2.0%; French 93.0%; Non-official languages 5.0%
Don't forget to rock the vote!


4 comments:
OK, those stats are astonishing! I think the diversity in ridings like Parkdale is pretty unique in general.
Have a great run on Sunday!! I'm so impressed with you. We'll be virtually cheering you on.
Thanks for keeping up the blog! I am grateful to have this opportunity to better keep up with you.
Thanks S, glad you're enjoying this silly blog ;) I'm really excited about the run! I made a special playlist designed to keep me pumped for 5K.
Yeah, the diversity of TO is something I definitely appreciate. And I equally appreciate the full-on immersion here (you can relate!)
hugs, K
hey! how did the race go? i have always worked out but never really RAN before. i started running 5Ks last year, and am addicted! isn't it great knowing you can run like that and complete a race? such a rush!
I wish I could run to keep in shape, but my asthma (mild) gets in the way of allowing me to run.
Post a Comment