Pages

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Fall shenanigans

Isn't this a gorgeous time of year? It's been great for exploring in and around the city—not too hot, comfy with just a fall sweater. I don't think I could live somewhere that didn't have the four seasons I grew up with... love them all, especially the turning points.


Quebec's skyline from Levis


artsy attempt: Chateau Frontenac after sunset

Lately I've been admiring the vivid, painted hills from the viewpoint near my apartment. Finally went out this weekend for a hike amid the fall colours, with my friend Eliot. The peak has passed but there were still vibrant shades on the cliffs at Cap Tourmente:


The Cap is famous as a stopping point for the Greater Snow Geese who come through during spring and fall migration. This weekend was right near the peak, with an estimated 40,000 birds. The background noise from their honking was impressive! When they took flight to go feed on the mudflats as the tide was going out, the white birds soaring against the bright foliage made a stunning sight.


On top of that phenomenon we saw two black bear cubs, a Great Horned Owl, an American Bittern fishing in the reeds, muskrats, and all kinds of ducks and shorebirds. A perfect fall day!

oh, ps — for the curious who've asked, the 5k went great! I completed it in a decent time, without walking. The donations from family and friends raised $500 for the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation, thanks so much :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so great that you raised that much money for Breast Cancer. Go you!

I love this time of the year with al the leaves changing colors. Fall is definitely my fave time of the year.

kalyle said...

Hmmm, and I wonder from which part of North America you experience fall? I can't WAIT to find out who you are, secret pal!